Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Floyd Patterson


TOM- Within the past few month's, I've been watching a lot of old boxing footage, stuff from the 50's and 60's mainly. There's something about those fights on a purely aesthetic level that is inspiring to me as an artist. There certainly is a great tradition in art, be it film or illustration, of using the subject of boxing as a source of inspiration. I myself often play with boxing themes in alot of my sketchbook work. Recently though, I attempted to create a portrait of a classic boxer and one of my favorites from that time, Floyd Patterson. He was a dude from Brooklyn with super cool hair who would just lay guys out in the ring, it's awesome to watch. I had fun drawing this and I'd like to create more work around this theme. Check out Floyd at work here.

No comments: