Sunday, August 22, 2010

Alotta Nerve...


TOM- Ever since we changed the layout for the 'My First Time' section on Nerve.com, it has given me the opportunity to play around with composition and storytelling and in the process I've tried to push myself to try and create a really strong image week after week. I've been finding some really great inspiration in some of these amazing illustrations. That whole wonderful era of illustration is fascinating to me and truly inspiring. I've been trying to somehow tap into those guys genius and slowly try and figure out how to come up with new and interesting ways to jazz up a story with exciting visuals. I haven't even come close to what those artists have accomplished, but just studying them has been a real learning lesson all it's own. Most importantly, I've been having fun too! Here are some of my latest illustrations for the 'My First Time' section from the last few weeks. I've included the black and white versions as well.













On a side note, I just added more of my illustrated tote bags to my Etsy shop, so be sure to get 'em while they're hot! Thanks for reading and have a great rest of the weekend!




3 comments:

james flames said...

These are really great, as I've said before. The work you're putting into them, in terms of expaning your vision, is totally coming through.
I am very curious though: are you using any kind of reference photos for these? Or are they all straight from your head? The people in these images all have such a natural feel to them, I wonder how you're acheiving that.

alex fine illustration said...

You have to keep posting these. They were always great but these new ones are really really strong. I love the angle on the motel illustration.

thomas pitilli said...

Thanks guys!
I should have mentioned it in the post, but yeah, there is some photo reference on these. To avoid the characters looking too stiff or contrived, I use the reference only for important things like the tilt of a head or the way a hand is positioned. So with most of these what I've been doing is drawing the characters straight in, the way I envision it, then if I get stuck, I jump in front of a self timed camera and try to act out the pose. My camera is filled by the way, with really weird shots of me acting out strange scenario's...